Re: [Amps] Dentron ML2500 on 50MHz

To: "Adrian Rees (M1LCR)" <rees.a@btconnect.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dentron ML2500 on 50MHz
From: "Radioal" <al.dolgosh@hamradio.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:38:43 -0400
Actually, the 8875 tubes are no longer available.  I built a 6-meter amp
with a pair of 8875s years ago, using Dentron MLA2500 components when they
were available fairly cheap from Dentron.  So, your project is just like
mine - except mine didn't look like the MLA-2500!

I added a simple tuned input circuit for impedance matching - and used a
simple pi-network for output. The tubes perform well at 50 MHz, and 1000
watts out is normal with good air flow for cooling those transverse-cooled
8875s.  I would start by gutting the bandswitched pi network and installing
new components for six meters only, including winding a new plate RF choke.

Be careful to watch the grid current (same as the stock MLA-2500 warning).

Have fun!  There are several Russian tube conversions available for the
MLA-2500, but all conversions require extensive air ducting changes.

Al - K8EUR