Re: [Amps] Non inductive resistor

To: <amps@contesting.com>,"George KB2Z" <Thermionic_Emission@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Non inductive resistor
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:53:46 +0100
George KB2Z wrote:
> At 10:11 PM 4/4/05 -0400, you wrote:
>
> I could use one as well. Richardson dont list  the RF Power 250W 50ohm
> RFP250-50TC on the website. Is it from an older catalog? $10 is
> affordable. The website does not have any pictures, specs, or other
> information listed. Are they basically non inductive to 30MC? Can
> they be sunk in a gallon of oil and pushed a bit?
I got the price from the web site - don't know how far you got into it, but
it's ***AWFUL*** to use. The search function won't find these parts, even if
you put in the exact part number. The route is www.rell.com then
rf/wireless, passive components, Anaren/RF Power storefront, resistors (or
terminations) <at this point remember that Alt left arrow takes you
backwards as the toolbar disappears>, show all parts, then page though until
you see the one you want. I'm convinced that no-one at Richardson can ever
have tried to use their own site.

The ...TC part is a termination, not a resistor - one side is internally
connected to the mounting flange, they're listed separately from resistors.
The equivalent resistor is RFP250-50RM which is also on the web site, with
data, if you persevere. To look at one and see the data it's easier to go
www.anaren.com and work through their menus.

The 250W resistors are effectively non-inductive to something over 200MHz.
With added matching I've had 250W terminations to 23cms with 1.05 VSWR and a
150W one to 2.3GHz at 1.1 VSWR. As Will said, you need to fix them to a
heatsink - the resistor flange is about 1 x 0.5". Simply dunking them in oil
won't be enough.

Hope that helps.

Steve