Re: [Amps] Solid State Amps

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Amps
From: Richard Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:48:45 -0700
On Apr 8, 2005, at 6:29 AM, k7fm wrote:

> I have a big concern for this forum when the solid state amps finally
> replace the tubes.
>
> Some amp experts will have to start over with remedies.  I mean
> transistors
> do not have gold melt balls rolling around inside.  Custom wound
> parasitic
> suppressors, formed during a full moon, will no longer be needed.

Transistors are optimized to discourage parasites.

> Will there be enough sudden failures of transistors to start a new
> religion?

New religions need only one charismaic person, a supply of suckers,
and a generous supply of hallucinogens.

> And, what will the major manufacturers fail to do to protect the
> masses from
> this event?  Will an eastern religion become the basis for transistor
> amplifier problem prevention?

Not likely since, unlike electron-tubes, they are optimized to inhibit
parasites.

> I guess since parasitics are invisible, they will always be a topic for
> dicsussion.  Sometimes, when transistor amps are unstable, we look for
> the
> right combination of bypass caps to help us out, so that will give us
> some
> latitude in future discussions.

Multiple, parallel, unequal-value bypasses and C self-resonance have
been discussed.

Rich Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.somis.org