[Amps] Tentec Centurion - meter calibration

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tentec Centurion - meter calibration
From: "HENRY PFIZENMAYER" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:48:46 -0700
I have a new  Centurion that is back from its first visit to the factory
after 11 qso's - had some strange intermittent no pout then blew the bias
transistor. Tubes and amp back to TT and they says tubes OK.  - appears to
operate OK now so far - but there is almost no relationship between the
metering and what I think is going on.

Example:

With plate current of 460 ma at 2600v (about 1200 watts input) Grid current
of 160 ma.  40 CW  SWR load below 1.1:1
(takes a mad scientist to figure out the weird Ig, Ip, Ep meter scales)
the Centurion Pfwd meter reads 1100 watts out
the LED peak power reads 1250 watts (and the service letter  says the meter
cal was checked at 1 KW)
the Tenntec 238 tuner reads almost 2000watts (sure)
My 1980 Heathkit HM2140 PEP/AVG meter reads essentially 1000 watts either
peak or average.(tad higher peak)

So it looks to me like the Ip/Ep metering must be pretty far off - no way
1000 w out at 1200 w in. and
the TT cals are pretty poor.

Is this metering normal with TT amps ? First experience with TT amps.

Rgds-- Hank K7HP