Re: [Amps] article in Nature, modified Aurora via HF tspa

To: r@somis.org
Subject: Re: [Amps] article in Nature, modified Aurora via HF tspa
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:21:09 EDT

In a message dated 17/04/2005 16:23:09 GMT Standard Time, r@somis.org  writes:

With the  AGC off, and the RF gain backed down, there's plenty.

I don't see it. If you have a meter that at S9 is reading half scale, and
you want to reset a signal level to1 dB, you need to be be able to resolve to
about 0.5% of FSD. We're talking big scales and mirror backing here to  set an
analogue meter to that degree of repeatable resolution.

The attenuator doesn't come into it. Sorry Rich, but this 'gold standard'
looks a bit to me like a gilded lump of lead!

73

Peter G3RZP