Re: [Amps] DC Blocking Capacitor

To: philc@texascellnet.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] DC Blocking Capacitor
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:57:57 EDT

philc@texascellnet.com writes:

This has  been called several things over the
years; suseptance, admittance, and  conductance; measured in siemens or
sometimes  mhos.

Conductance G is the reciprocal of Resistance R
Susceptance B is the reciprocal of Reactance X
Admittance Y is the reciprocal of  Impedance Z

B, G and Y are measured in Siemens - used to be mhos.
R, X and Z are measured in ohms. of course.

Capacitors have a voltage rating and a VA ( Volts times Amps)  rating,  or
for our purposes, kiloVA: this determines the current rating. Similar to the
voltage limitation on a resistor, which can of course mean that a high ohmic
value 1 watt resistor can never dissipate 1 watt before its voltage rating is
exceeded. In the same way, a capacitor can have a current rating of so many
amps, but at some frequencies, the resulting volts across it get so high that
it
 suffers voltage punch through.

The same applies to inductors, but we don't usually have to worry about the
voltage across them getting too high, just them getting too hot!

73

Peter G3RZP