Re: [Amps] Plate transformer current unknown

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate transformer current unknown
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:28:25 -0400
Angelo,

Really you cant tell that way (using the resistance) unless you know the mean
lenght of turn, how many turns per layer, and how many layers they are in the
winding. This then would give you how long the wire is and you could then use
the resistance and the length to determine the wire size. If it's possible to
use a micrometer or a wire gauge to see what the secondary wire size is, then
one can find out what its rating is. In amateur service, ICAS used anywhere
from 700 to 900 circular mils per ampere. CCS uses anyhwere from say 1000 to
1200 cir. mil. per amp. If you can find the wire size, go look at a wire chart
for how many circular mils it has and divide by the above numbers to determine
its current carrying ability. IE, 10,000 circular mils running at 1000 cir mil
per amp = 10 amperes.

Best,

Will