Re: [Amps] Plate transformer current unknown

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate transformer current unknown
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 00:21:21 -0400
One thing I ought to mention here for winding a heater supply transformer.
Generally, since the voltage is low, having a higher current, with a single
layer winding (usually), plus being the winding on the outside, you can skimp
some here. This meaning using something around 500 to 750 circular mils per
ampere. The reason being is the heat can escape easier being on the outside and
being of pretty large wire. The primary though, should be wound with 1000 to
1200 cir. mil. per ampere because it runs at a 100% duty cycle. Another trick
here is there's enough window room, you can add some spacer sticks around the
circumference of the primary and between it and the secondary. These are maybe
1/8" to 3/16" thick. They allow air to come up through the winding and cool it
off plus keep the secondaries heat from being transmitted into the primary.
This is done a lot on large transformers, either air, or oil cooled.

Best,

Will