Re: [Amps] Ratshack switches

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ratshack switches
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:08:50 -0400
Dick,

It makes one wonder how many of us had that happen too, not just on here. I
didn't take mine back but should have for a refund. Of course they could have
argued we burnt them up, which is a bunch of hoopla too! The other version they
have is a good switch and the one I use. You can lay the heat to it without any
damage. I'll have to try and get in the shop and see what the two part numbers
are though. I do know one is solid red and the other is red with the "O" on it
for off and on. I cant remember right off which was which.

This brings up a topic for all. I would like to find the manufacturer of the
old neon lamp holders which most slid a tinnerman nut on to hold it in from the
back. B&K and Heathkit both used these on their test equipment. I bought some
similar but smaller from Mouser one time. A LED is all that will fit those. I'd
like to find the ones made for neon lamps like the old ones. You could get them
in clear, amber, and red. They're solid clear plastic with a head on one end
about 5/16" O.D. and stick out about a 1/4". the body is 1/4" O.D. and about
5/8" long. All one piece molded clear plastic. They mount tight in a 1/4" hole,
then you take a 1/4" tinnerman nut and press over the back to hold it in. Those
were the slickest way to mount a lamp. B&K used them back when the chassis were
painted black and gold color. They used them mostly as a power indicator and a
good bit on the tube testers like the 747. If anyone knows where to get these,
it would be much appreciated!

Best,

Will