[Amps] Iron Powder Core and Copper Wire Selection Data

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Iron Powder Core and Copper Wire Selection Data
From: Dan Levin <djl@andlev.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
As part of Project Gamma ( http://www.k6if.com/ssamp/ ), the team has done a
bit of work to understand how to design high power inductors for use in 1500
watt output filters, antenna tuners and the like.  We have put this information
together onto one page, which can be found at http://www.k6if.com/ - follow the
link to the page from there.  Hopefully this will save time and energy for
others with the same questions.

If you find any errors on this page, please let me know so that we can correct
it.

Two interesting tidbits from our work:

1) T184-17 cores are _the_ solution for high power inductor design, if you need
more inductance than a "0" material core can deliver.  Thanks for W3NQN for the
pointer to these cores, which are available directly from Micrometals.

2) Because of the skin effect, at HF the current carrying copper volume (and
thus current capacity) in copper wire goes up about 25% each time you move up
to the next larger even size (i.e. 14 gauge wire can carry 25% more current
then 16 gauge wire can).  Thus, as WM5Z pointed out, you are much better off
winding two parallel wires (thus doubling your current capacity) than you are
using a larger size wire (with its 25% improvement).  Two #16 wires or three
#18 wires are enough to carry the 9 amps that results from a 3:1 SWR at 1500
watts - but one #14 isn't.

All our best wishes,

                         ***dan, K6IF

P.S.  We have two v1 harmonic output filter boards available for sale.  One is
completely assembled and ready to drop into an amp, the other is a bare PCB
(wth parts list and instructions).  The v1 filter is perfect for a 6 band
600-1000 watt solid state amplifier, or a low duty cycle 1500 watt amp.  Drop
me an email if you are interested.