Re: [Amps] SGC Mini Lini...am i the only one (who doesn't get it?)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SGC Mini Lini...am i the only one (who doesn't get it?)
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:22:05 +0000
okay, I'll weigh in on this one...

The basic equipment architecture (whether it's exciters or amps) involving
plug in modules, one for each band, has never been a winner as far as I
know.

Ten Tec introduced a rig, The Scout, about 10 years ago, that depended on
separate plug in modules for band switching, and it didn't seem to do all
that well.  There may have been other probs. with it, but I'm fairly
confident the whole module thing was a big turnoff for most hams.  Ten Tec
built it for around 2 or 3 years and discontinued it.

HF hams want a single box with a bandswitch covering 160 to 10 m.  (okay, I
think most HF hams want that).
Another problem I'm told is that when you buy the Mini Lini, you _have_ to
take the 20 m. module as the first one, which if true, is a little bizarre
to me.

It may be a good deal for a ham who operates one band while moble, and wants
a small s.s. single band amp for that limited purpose.  It's cheaper for SGC
to make a bunch of modules instead of a bunch of complete, dedicated single
band amps.  Hopefully that cost saving is passed on to you, the consumer.
I doubt if they expect to sell many, in a package including the base unit,
and complete set of modules, to hams intending to put it on the operating
table and swap modules for all bands.

Rob/K5UJ