Re: [Amps] TL-922 question.

To: "Georgens, Tom" <tom.georgens@engenio.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922 question.
From: Jennings <leejen@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:00:25 +1200
Hi Tom and all
The clue may be that one of the 3-500s has gone west with an internal short.
I have had quite a few go over the years.
3-500Zs are prone to blowing up with an internal short. The brand or the
supplier doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. The age of the tubes
does. One of the reasons that they go is that flakes fall off the plate and
cathodes and short to the grids. It's just a natural occurrence as the tubes
age. If you are aware of it... no problem as you should put a 1 amp quick
blow fuse in series with each cathode so you don't blow the power supply.
Pull the 3-500s carefully without knocking them around. If you put an
ohmmeter from grid to plate or grid to cathode you will often see a "short"
A normal 3-500Z will show almost infinity ohms.

How do you get rid of it? two methods work. The first is a very sharp rap or
knock which will dislodge the flake and it will fall to the bottom of the
glass. If that doesn't work you can hook up 3 or 4 or more KV from cathode
to grid or from plate to grid and ionize the damn flaky thing!!! It may
sound drastic but in most cases the cure actually works and you can get
hundreds more hours out of 3-500s. I have often wondered how many perfectly
good 3-500Zs have been tossed and could have been restored. I bought a pair
a few years ago at a junk sale (flea market for you non-ZLs) They were in
original boxes and had a label "condition not known".
I ran the ohmmeter over both and one showed a short. The other seemed fine.
I bought them very cheaply indeed and a sharp rap on the side of the glass
with a rubber hammer dislodged the short and both worked rather well for a
long time in my amp.

Sound a bit drastic? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by
trying it.

73, Lee ZL2AL