Re: [Amps] Alpha to Omega

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha to Omega
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:02:26 -0500

> Hal,
>
> Gold is used because it reduces the amount of spurious pieces of green paper
> in ur wallet, at the higher end of the denomination range.

AMEN!

What I do with tubing is use a piece of steel wool to bring it bright, taking
off the oxidation. Then spray it thouroughly with a couple of coats of
polyurathane varnish. This essentially making a big piece of magnet wire out of
it. The only thing it supposed to help is with the skin effect. How much, I
cant really say as I've never seen a difference between using either oxided or
bright. On a rotary coil, the coil needs to be clean where it makes contact
with the roller so I could see plating it. I have also seen some coils plated
with tin. They worked just as good as any silver plate I've seen. They were
plated using the electroless powder for PC boards.

> Rob/K5UJ

Best,

Will