Re: [Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:34:24 -0400
Tom:  The only dumb question is one that goes unasked.  220V plugs are
"standardized" for  amperage.  Look at your clothes dryer, it is most
likely a "crows foot" 3 prong 30 amp plug.  You are correct in that many
areas now require 4 pin plugs.

There is more than one "standard" 20 amp 220Volt plugs/receptacles.  The
one I use looks like a standard 3 prong 120 volt 15 amp plug (like on
most appliances etc), except that one of the hot pins is turned 90
degrees and appears vertical while the other hot pin appears horizontal
and the ground pin is round.  I'm sure it has a ul number or NEC number,
but I have not looked it up.  Any well stocked hardware store should
have both  plug and receptacle.  Better tho to go to an electrical
supply store with a retail counter and ask for a 220Volt 20 amp
plug/receptacle.  The receptacle will fit into a standard work box.  If
unsure, have your electrician provide one and put it in for you.  73 bob
de w9ge