Re: [Amps] filament transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament transformer
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:22:56 -0500
David,

That's the reason for me always using the wattage in equals wattage out
scenario. The current varies with the load and should have a constant voltage
after the sag due to the transformer regulation. That is for a transformer
receiving the specified primary working voltage though. To be honest, I didn't
see you mention varying voltage and am thinking about getting glasses LOL. Of
course the voltage will vary by using a variac on the primary. Then one must
figure by the maximum power and current capability of the transformer because
when you have a voltage drop, you have a current rise. This meaning the magnet
wire in the transformer would have to be able to handle the current through it.
Let's say we have a 10 volt trnasformer at 2 amperes from the secondary
equaling 20 watts. The wire size in the secondary would be sized around 2 amps.
However, if the primary voltage is reduced to produce say 5 volts from the
secondary, the current will rise X2 or 4 amps to get 20 watts. So,
 the power capability would have to drop since the secondary is only rated for
2 amps. From this, the transformers power handling capability will fall to 10
watts even though there's enough iron for 20 watts. In other words, it will
have to drop to keep from burning out the secondary. I wanted to mention this
so any would know that playing with the primary voltage can drastically change
the power of a transformer. Even though the voltage changes from a variac, the
transformer has a maximum limit on the current drawn from the secondary.

Best,

Will