Re: [Amps] HP / Agilent manuals

To: Ian White GM3SEK <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HP / Agilent manuals
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:08:57 +0100
Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:
> David Kirkby wrote:
>
>>>Following the postings some time back about Agilent scanning old HP
>>>manuals to put on their web site, I received an email from Dave
>>>Cunningham at Agilent
>

>>>yesterday, in which he sent me an updated list
>>>of what manuals he has which will get scanned and what is still wanted.
>>>

> Des anyone have user and service manuals for the HP8640-A, please?
>
> (Not the B with the digital readout, but the A model with the slide-rule
> scale.)

Sorry,
Ian I can't help you, but ....

I have had an a few ideas recently about test equipment manuals and how
we my get them free.

See

http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/cgi-bin/unstable

(It will at some point go onto a more appropriate web site, but for now
that site is easiest for me, as I personally own and administer the web
server)

Note, at this point in time, pressing the "submit" button will NOT
result in the data being recorded, so don't bother listing your full
name, email, exact details of equipment etc, since it all goes nowhere.

I would however be interested in comments.

Would something like this be useful?

Would any of you be willing to scan part of a manual they own, but not
all of it?

Would you be willing to loan a manual to someone - perhaps with a
deposit? (Someone loaning me the HP 5370B time interval counter allowed
me to produce a manual which I put online, but, which will soon be on
the Agilent site too.)

How could the form at the above URL be improved (I expect there are
spelling/grammatical errors, as it is in an early stage of development,
so don't bother listing them.) Any other questions - any that are not
needed? There will be a free entry text box where you can put additional
information, but that is not there yet.

Please note, I don't wish for this to become a place where commercial
sellers of manuals list what they have, so there will be no questions
about buying/selling manuals.

Ideally the information should be put into a database, but I don't know
much about them, so was thinking of a simple text file which people
could search through with their browser. Perhaps however I will hook it
up to a mysql database - just I have never been interested in databases,
despite their obvious use, and in this case a database would be nice.

Any better way to solve the problem of unobtainable manuals? Agilent
look like they will solve part of it with this effort But I don't think
they are going to do it for every old bit of HP kit.

Note, I whilst I have some tube data sheets at www.g8wrb.org, I have no
intension of storing copies of manuals on a web server - it would take
too much disk space and too much network load. I did it for the 5370B
since I scanned it, but sites like BAMA are willing to host manuals - I
am not. But I don't mind putting something together to help others.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/