[Amps] Shorted turns reduce harmonics?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Shorted turns reduce harmonics?
From: "Mark Marsden" <mm@plextek.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:41:31 +0100
Hi Amp'ers

The harmonics from my homebrew amplifier, on some bands, are much lower
than expected, and I've been wondering why.

The output Pi tank coil is made up of 3 orthogonal coils for 10-12m,
15-80m & 160m, mounted at 90 degrees to each other, see
http://granta.digital-crocus.com/linear/Mvc-078x.jpg

The 15-80m coil is tapped in 3 places and turns are shorted out by the
band switch. The other 2 coils, 10-12m & 160m, are not tapped.

Now a Pi-tank, transforming 1400R to 50R with a working Q of 12, has a
2nd harmonic attenuation of about 30dB and an amplifier running in class
B has an anode current that is a half sine. So the resultant 2nd
harmonic level at the output can reasonably expected to be about 35-45
dB down.

However there's more, on the bands where there are shorted
mutually-coupled turns, the harmonics are attenuated much more.

The level of the second harmonic relative to 1kW on each band is shown
below.

160m -45.3 dBc  no shorted mutual turns
80m  -47.0 dBc  no shorted mutual turns
40m  -58.5 dBc  7 shorted mutual turns
30m  -56.3 dBc  7 shorted mutual turns
20m  -62.9 dBc  10 shorted mutual turns
17m  -70.0 dBc  13 shorted mutual turns
15m  < noise    13 shorted mutual turns
12m  -45.3 dBc  no shorted mutual turns
10m  -54.2 dBc  no shorted mutual turns

See http://granta.digital-crocus.com/Linear_design_notes.php3

It seems that the shorted turns are absorbing harmonic energy. Has
anyone seen this effect before?

73, Mark, G4AXX