Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 rebuild, some questions.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 rebuild, some questions.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:23:32 -0500
Martin,

You mentioned having to solder the 10 meter lead back to the switch or coil.
Regular 60/40 rosin core solder will work here since that is strap material and
a heavy connection. Just make sure the connetcions are good and clean, then use
a 200 watt gun to heat them with. Silver solder is generally used in high heat
applications where the temperature of the part can get hot enough to melt
lead/tin solder (3-500Z heater pins). If the 10 meter coil is wound with a
large enough conductor, it will not get hot enough to melt it. The coil which
can get hot is for the lower bands, especially a few turns behind the 10 meter
coil. This is because of the signifigant change in wire size between the two.
Some of these coils you can tell have turned dark for a few turns where they
get hot. If no turns are darkened, nothings been hot. If you use silver solder,
you'll need a heat source different than a standard iron like a small butane
torch. I think you'll find though, the original connections use standard 60/40
type solder. I have used it for years and never had a problem with it.

Best,

Will