Re: [Amps] Bend allowance

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bend allowance
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 03:34:12 -0400
Ian,

You can use a radius inside bend instead of a sharp 90, use a soft aluminum, or
use a bottoming die which holds pressure on the outside. The bottoming die wont
do you any good though on a pan/box break, just V-dies types. Sharp 90 deg
bends is a major cause in brittle types of aluminum. A 1/8" radius will help a
good bit. To do this in a break, you have to add a shoe over the fingers on a
pan break, or a radiused punch on a V brake. Anytime you see that cracking,
it's because your using too sharp of a bend for the material. That's the only
ways I know to do it.

Best,

Will