Re: [Amps] set up for the big maul

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] set up for the big maul
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:17:17 -0400
Ken,

Actually, a motor maul is just a big series pass regulator with a battery
switching arrangement. What they do is series-paralell a bunch of 12 volt
batteries and regulate the output. While the amp is idle, the alternator
charges the 10 batteries as the two sets (in this one two sets of five) are
paralelled. On transmit, the alternator is disconnected, and the two sets of
batteries are put in series for 24 Vdc, then connected through a series pass
regulator where they can get from 12 to say 20 Vdc. They've been running those
2SC2879's at 18 Vdc instead of 13.8 and I guess they work just fine. The spec
sheet on them actually gives 18 Vdc as the max collector voltage. By using the
mauls, they dont have to run a bunch of alternators under the hood. However, it
takes a heavy one to charge 10 batteries but nothing like running an amp.

Best,

Will