Re: [Amps] Who makes the best mobile amp?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Who makes the best mobile amp?
From: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:46:22 +0200
Jack,

I have used the following amps in my automobile:

SG500
Henry SS750
2 x SG500 into a combiner.

You will find the the power generation capability of your electrical system
AND the power handling capability of your antenna are the limiting factors.
In my opinion anything above 1 kW output is becoming a hassle.
The SS750 does nice on 40 and 80 @ 1.2 kW out, at 20 and up approx 600 watt
out.
That amp is build like a brick shithouse and performs nice. However, it
lacks a high SWR shutoff and the 100 amop circuit breaker is a bit fast.

The SG500 gave me a bit over 550 watt output. That amp is well protected,
including high SWR shutoff.

I would rate the SG 500 as a more professional design, the 3 dB advantage of
the SS750 on 40 and 80 will only help you on long haul
transmissions on 80 and 40. For trans European work on 40 and 80, 500 watt
is more than enough.

More importantly will be your antenna choice. I've tried all of them, the
best multiband design currently on the market is the HiQ 5-80.
This antenna has a fixed length, all moving parts are in the sealed loading
coil and the coil has a diameter of 5 inch.

All other designs, how well executed, beautifully polished and marketed are
simply not good enough with flimsy 1.7 inch loading coils. These antennas
are great dummyloads on the low bands.

Cheers, Dick Knol
PA3DUV

www.qsl.net/pa3duv