Re: [Amps] Ribbon Beam Amplifiers

To: "Mark Marsden" <mm@plextek.co.uk>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ribbon Beam Amplifiers
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:19:34 -0400
    I suspect it is a compact form of a traveling wave tube.  They have
developed cold cathodes for small amplifying devices over the past few
years. Some use field ionization. They have even made, by using monolithic
fabrication techniques, tiny triode tubes as well as nano-machines. The
greatest problem is when reducing its length you have to go to low electron
velocities which makes the beam very sensitive to magnetic fields. Keeping
the beam focus and on axis it probably the hard part.
    In the "integrated triode tubes" the dimensions are  so small that they
work at atmospheric pressure.  The distances are on the order of the
mean-free path for the air molecules.
    It could be just bogus too. I remember a few years ago when some AT&T
engineers demonstrated a new antenna design that was to make it possible to
operate a large number of cell phones of the same frequency. And on a TV
news program they demonstrated it in the hallway of one of the labs. But
never heard any more about it.
73
Bill wa4lav

73