Re: [Amps] 2nd grid resistor blow Ameritron AMP 811H

To: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2nd grid resistor blow Ameritron AMP 811H
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:12:04 -0700
On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> D Pipes wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply. I do have an added question. Would I be seeing
>> parasitic conditions before and without any RF ye? This has happened
>> only
>> when i switch the amp on (power switch) still in standby and no RF
>> load
>> applied as yet just at start up on the power switch? thanks
>
> I doubt that this problem is caused by a parasitic.  I certainly would
> not make a categorical statement like 'you are getting a parasitic
> oscillation...'.
>
> It sounds like, more than anything else, a tube defect.  Yes, it is
> very
> mysterious that it happened twice in the same place.

To find out if it was a parasite or not, measure the ohms of the
parasitic suppressor R on the tube that blew it's grid R.  If the ohms
are still within tolerance, it was likely not a parasite.
-   I have observed that serious parasites in 811s can put so much EMF
on the filament, that it shatters into pieces and falls to the bottom
of the glass envelope.