Re: [Amps] Silver plating tank hardware

To: Angelo Karabetsos <ve3yn@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver plating tank hardware
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:56:36 +0100
Angelo Karabetsos wrote:
>   What is the best way to silver plate tank components/hardware? Is it
> better to use copper or brass as strapping for a given application? Any
> suggested minimum thickness? Some silver plated tank components last for
> years without heavy oxidization yet multi-conductor silver plated teflon
> shielded wire oxidizes in a few days once stripped. I suspect that it is
> of a much higher silver content. There isn't too much information
> covering this topic floating around on the net. Hopefully there are some
> hints, tips or tricks to eliminate the snake oil factor.
> 73 VE3YN Angelo

The first question to ask yourself is why are you wanting it plated?
Will the benefits outweigh the cost?

I had the tank circuit of my W1SL homebrew PA silver plated for use on
2m. A friend got it plated, which cost me zero. I measured efficiency
using the same DVM for measuring HT and the same Bird for measuring
power. I did several measurements of efficiency on different days before
and after the plating. There was no measurable difference, within the
error margins of my measuring methods. At 23cm then it is probably worth
it *if* the coating is sufficiently thick.

If connections are secure by soldering, then I'm a bit suspicious if
there is anything to be gained by plating at lower frequencies myself. I
am aware copper oxide is an insulator. But those connections on a car
battery are pretty high current and don't seem to ever need silver plating.

I suspect there is a lot of snake oil. But then this mailing list seems
to have quite a bit of that.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB