Re: [Amps] Question on Step Start Relays

To: Dennis Berry <dennisberry@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question on Step Start Relays
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:54:36 -0700
Dennis Berry wrote:
> There has been a lot of recent discussion on Step Start circuits.
> Would one of the 'hockey puck' or solid state relays work OK in this
> application?  They are usually available with 25 amp capability at a
> decent cost.  I'm curious if the solid state relays are susceptible
> to any RFI/EMI pick-up from an amplifier?  Any experience with one of
> these devices?

Yes, they are quite sensitive to RF.  In my case, I found that RF tended
to turn them off.  I added a pi filter to the control circuit, but it
didn't help much.  Finally, I wrapped some no. 12 wire around a large
toroid and put that in series with the 240V line, and added an 0.01 uf
bypass capacitor to ground, which finally did the trick.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco