Re: [Amps] plate choke

To: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>,"Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate choke
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:15:38 -0700
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>

> Oh,
>
> "R is not even included as part of the L-C freq. equation."
>
> Oh yes it is, you have been using an approximate equation that ignored
> the
> effect of resistance.
>
> Jim, AF6O
>
> Jim,
>
> If I had been using HTML, I'd have made the word FREQ. in big, bold. R
> doesn't enter into the FREQ. determining portion of it.
>
> 73,    Roy     K6XK

At the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth again, R generally
doesn't effect the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit appreciably
provided that the Q is reasonably high. On the other hand, a plate
choke when you look at it very closely is really a distributed RLC
circuit, so one has to be careful about applying simplified 3 component
lumped element models. I'd love to see a rigorous analytical treatment
of this if anyone knows of a good reference.