Re: [Amps] plate choke

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>,"AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>, "KD7QAE" <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate choke
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:32:17 -0700
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>

> Yes but how many times do you need to hear the answer?
> Bob W6TR

What answer? I still don't know if typical single-layer plate chokes
rely on a parallel resonance to acheive suffcient low-end choking
impedance; I still don't know if the impedance vs. frequency curves
for typical single-layer plate chokes look similar to the multi-layer
"pie-wound" plate chokes like the ones illustrated in Orr's handbook
which show peak impedance values in excess of 1 megaohm across
a very broad frequency range; and I still don't know what, if any,
analytical models exist for a single-layer plate chokes (aside from way
oversimplied 3 element lumped RLC models). As to whether or not I
could buy a store bought choke from RF parts that would work in a
typical PA design or whether or not stray layout capacitance effects
the ultimate position of series resonances, thus requiring one to measure
the choke installed in-place, I already knew the ansswer to those
questions before this thread began :):)

73 de Mike, W4EF.....................