Re: [Amps] Palstar DL5K 5KW load

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Palstar DL5K 5KW load
From: PA3DUV <pa3duv@planet.nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:12:12 +0200
However, there are some minor flaws in the design of the DL5K.

First the long silver plated wire from the UHF connector to the resistors is
hanging on the solder joint of the UHF connector. The cheap rubber grommet
in the directional coupler box provides no support at all. I have machined a
teflon support bushing to replace the grommet which supports this long lead.
Also I have bolted the directional coupler box to the chassis in order to
remove strain from the broken solder connection to the UHF plug.

The DL5K works just fine with the 6 kW output from my 2 x GU84 amplifier.
The fan kicks in after approx. 20 seconds and a nice flow of hot air heats
my shack in the wintertime. Together with the air flow through the GU 84
plate coolers I do not need to fire up the wood burner in the shack.

Cheers, Dick
PA3DUV