[Amps] SWR Foldback driving a TL922

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SWR Foldback driving a TL922
From: Robert Katz <rob.katz@thelegacycenter.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:52:03 -0400
I'm having problems driving a Kenwood TL922 amp with a TS850, and I'd
appreciate any help you can offer.  I had no problems driving the
TL922 using a TS830, but with the 850 I'm getting a high SWR and the
rig foldbacks it's output power.  I'm assuming that the 830 had no
problem matching the high SWR because it has a tube final, but the
850 isn't as flexible.  I tried adjusting the tuning slugs in the
TL922 while transmitting the 850 and monitoring the SWR, and I
managed to lower it a little bit on some bands but not enough to
fully drive the amp.

Any ideas on how I can get the amp tuned up?  Is there a simple
procedure I can follow?  I have an antenna analyzer (MFJ 259) and an
SWR meter, but no other test equipment.

Thanks and 73,
    Rob, KA1ARB
--