Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B

To: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B
From: Patrick Egloff <pegloff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:28:54 +0200
Hi Robert,

I'm not very aware about this type of setup, but the 4CX1500B has a 1W max
grid dissipation, so you could quickly burn it when exiting it too much.
On the other hand, the 4CX250B has only 2W grid dissipation, so it would be
interesting to know with how much power you drove this tube in your super
cathode driven mode amplifier ?

I'm about to build an amp with a 4CX1500B for 2m but in "normal" setup...
Lucky man you're to have several new tubes !! I've to dismantle my home made
HF amplifier to have a tube for my new project ! hi hi

73 and greetings from Corsica , Patrick TK5EP

2005/9/21, robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>:

> This one may have been asked before.Over the past few years I have
> constructed a few amplifiers using pairs of 4CX250/350B tubes in Super
> Cathode Driven Mode,The Screen Grid grounded and the Control Grid tied to
> the Cathode.The amplifier's have been quite reliable and I havn't worn a
> tube out yet despite some quite hard use from time to time.
> I got the idea origionally from an article by Orr and Sayer in QST July
> 1967.
> I am wondering if this method could be applied to the 4CX1500B.I have a
> few new tube's and a socket or two but can't be bothered with Grid Bias and
> Screen voltages and all the extra circutry involved.
> I would be interested in some good technical opinion's.
> Regards all from Bob VK3ZL..

TK5EP
Patrick Egloff
http://tk5ep.free.fr