Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:25:11 +0000
Bill Coleman wrote:

> However, when you think about it, this is not an efficient use of
> computer resources. Even USB 1.2 is a speed demon compared to RS-232.
> (1.5 Mbps or 12 Mbps versus 230 kbps) Also, USB provides error-free
> delivery, which RS-232 does not. Finally, USB allows direct
> programmatic interfaces to be established, possibly using shared
> drivers. RS-232 requires some sort of command and data protocol to be
> implemented in every piece of software.

No disagreement with you there -- I'm not a programmer, but even as a
user I see a number of software-related advantages to USB.  On the other
side of the coin, three reasons of  importance to me today for using
RS-232 in preference to USB are:
     a.  Length of the interconnect
     b.  Positive connector retention
     c.  I don't want to obsolete my investment in RS-232 cables and
adapters (notice tongue in cheek here)

> Ethernet interfaces were also mentioned. Considering that many
> inexpensive routers and web cameras implement web interfaces using
> this technique, I'm surprised it hasn't made it into more amateur
> radio devices. It has similar benefits over RS-232. (high-speed,
> error-free, common protocols)

A year ago I would have thought ethernet was "the" interconnect to
standardize on.  These days I'm removing ethernet (partly to alleviate
the  RFI issues K9AY mentions) and installing 802.11G.  Tomorrow?  Who
knows.

As has been true in all areas of electronic equipment design for
decades, about the time all interested parties agree on a standard, the
standard will be obsolete.  In that respect, Alpha has chosen a "good"
spec for its standard....:-)

Bud, W2RU