Re: [Amps] Ribbon conductor in inductors

To: barrie@centric.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ribbon conductor in inductors
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:02:33 GMT
Hi Barrie,
   Tradeoffs...

   Round is the optimum shape for highest Q (i.e. lowest loss) per cross
section of material.

   Ribbon allows for greater inductance in a given volume.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv WC6W

-- "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net> wrote:
Looking at both fixed and rotary inductors, I see examples wound with round
wire and with "on-edge" ribbon.

Is there some advantage, or reason to use one or the other?

I can see, in the case of a rotary inductor, a greater contact area for the
travelling wiper.

Other reasons?

73, Barrie, W7ALW