Re: [Amps] Power Supplies and Blowers

To: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power Supplies and Blowers
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:15:48 -0400
Dino,

I purchased a nice blower from Grainger. It is the Dayton 4C447
<http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?ItemId=1611630891&ccitem=&xi=xi>,

1610 RPM, which will deliver 265 cfm at 0.0" static pressure and 184 cfm
at 0.4" static pressure. That is for two tubes and it sells for about
$68. They have another nice blower which is the Dayton 2C647
<http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?ItemId=1611630885&ccitem=&xi=xi>
that delivers 134 cfm/0" and 96 cfm/.4". It is a 1500 RPM blower so it
is quiet compared to a 3000 RPM blower. It sells for just under $50.
Bigger is better though and the more cfm/pressure the better if you are
going to run it through a hose. The 4C447 sells for about $65.

It is important to maintain an equal or better opening than that of the
blower all the way to the cathode compartment so that any back pressure
you have will be because of the tube and socket, not because of your
hose. A 4" drier hose comes real close for the 4C447. Don't forget a
screen over the cathode opening for shielding AND bug protection. A
screen and filter over the inlet of the blower is a better idea for dust
and insects.

73, Tony