Re: [Amps] 2006 ARRL Handbook

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2006 ARRL Handbook
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:12:57 -0700
On 9 Oct 2005 at 13:11, Wt8r@aol.com wrote:

< snip >

> Apparently it is just to much trouble to
> correct the mistakes ...... its is easier just to reprint without
> editing.

It may be easier, but this isn't what has happened in my experience.
As the author of the "Sunnyvale/St. Petersburg" amplifier part of
Chapter 13, I was frequently in contact with a handbook editor from
1999 to 2005, and they were continually trying to get it as accurate
as possible.  There were errors in the earliest version, some of
which were mine in the original manuscript, some were errors that
crept in when the ARRL edited my writing for constancy of "style"
throughout the Handbook, and some were typesetting errors.  I believe
that all were corrected (by the time the 4CX1600B became impossible
to acquire. 8>)

If you've ever tried to publish a book, you've experienced this
problem.  Sometimes it's worse than others, but it's always there.

I've got a 23d edition (first printing) version of Orr's handbook
that is rife with errors, but it's still a good thing to have on the
shelf!

73,

 George T. Daughters, K6GT