[Amps] Henry amp problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry amp problem
From: "Tim" <N6DRA@nc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:35:29 -0400
Hello all:

I recently acquired a beautiful Henry 2KD Classic desktop amplifier.  It works
fine and makes good power- but...  It is drawing idling current while sitting
in standby.  Henry told me that I probably have a shorted tube but I haven't
been able to confirm that fact.  I did an ohmmeter check and the tubes seem
fine at DC.  They are late Amperex 3-500Zs with the plates that look like
stacked coins as opposed to the Eimac zigzag folded plate.

Anyone seen this type of problem in this chassis before?  I didn't have time to
really get into it today but I did put an ohmmeter probe on the cathode pins
and it read 10K to ground.  The print shows a 10K resistor in series with the
zener (in parallel with a 220 Ohm 2W).  The 10K is shorted out when the relay
pulls in for bias.  One would think that 10K would develop enough voltage drop
to clamp the tube pretty hard, but the tubes continue to produce quite a bit of
heat- enough to make the top of the case quite warm over a little while.  I
can't see any color to the plates during this stage.  The plate current meter
does show about 120mA at this point (unkeyed) and increases to about 130-140mA
when keyed.

My reading about this amp indicated that many people disliked the blower noise.
 This one seems to have a decent airflow through the chimneys and out the top,
but is not overly loud.  How loud is loud in this case?  It's really not much
louder (if any) than my SB-220 which runs cool even during use.

I will look deeper this weekend, but would appreciate any insight that might be
offered.

' 73

Tim