Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: rob@sherweng.com, k1ern@direcway.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:58:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2005 10:38:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rob@sherweng.com writes:

After  that I did some research on FPE, and found there were know
problems with  their breakers not opening under a serious fault.  I had
the panel  replaced within the month.
73, Rob, NC0B

Hi Rob, these are called "stab-lock" breakers, indeed they are old and
electricians run for the hills when they see them in a house Hi Hi.  Good  that
you
had them changed.  Lately, some banks will NOT loan money on a  house that is
fitted with fuses.  Truly, fuses are probably the most  reliable BUT it is
too easy to screw in a 30A fuse in a 15 A circuit, that is a  recipe for
DANGER!
 It is for this reason that breakers are required.   Someone is less likely
to open up an electrical panel and start changing  breakers as easily as a fuse
can be replaced.  The new electrical code for  bedroom circuits now call for
"arc-fault" circuit breakers.  They cost  about $50.00 each.  They detect
arcing connections that could cause a fire,  and then shut down the circuit.
BUT...don't plug in a lamp with the switch  on or else your breaker will trip.
In
fact you can't plug anything in that  has a load high enough to cause a
momentary spark at the outlet or else there  goes the breaker.  Louie