[Amps] Need grid current wiring help

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Need grid current wiring help
From: w2cqm@juno.com
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:18:06 -0500
I am in the process of completely upgrading both the power supply and
tube(s) of two  Henry 2K-4's. The custom designed step start, Hipersil
4KV+ small footprint supply will drive an 8877 in the first effort. A
pair of 8877's is planned for the second project.   Both OEM meters are
1ma full scale. The dedicated plate current meter scale reads  0-1 amp.
This plate meter offers no wiring  problem since I plan to fabricate a
nichrome shunt  across the meter terminals  and place the it series
installed  in the normally open (close on transmit)  relay  return line
from the cathode/filament and through the zeners to the B- on the
rectifier board.
        However,  here's where I need  some guidance!     The multimeter
is also an identical  1ma full scale movement  with a scale of 0-400. It
reads forward/reverse output power, HV, and grid current. NO problem in
the first three switch selectable positions since the meter acts as a
voltmeter and samples those power levels via the Henry circuitry.   What
I'm not certain about is how to accurately  read the grid current from
the new circuitry currently in place.   Since the  second meter is also
1ma full scale,  I imagine there will have to be some type of resistor
sensing package wired someplace in the circuit so that in the grid
position I can monitor the tube's performance. Any circuit design
assistance  getting that aspect of the grid circuit to function would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron W2CQM/3