Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:22:05 +0000

R.Measures wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2005, at 2:04 PM, Steve Katz wrote:
>

>>BWH is a molded wirewound device.  Pretty good writeup here:
>>
>>http://n8sfc.com/bwh.html
>>
>>For high surge applications, you don't want conventional film
>>resistors;
>>they fail under normal conditions.
>

> The MOF resistors we use in our suppressor retrofit kits are rated by
> Matsushita at 100-ohms, 3W, 70ºC.  In free air, they will dissipate 12W
> for one hour with a resistance change of less than 10%.  At 12W, they
> glow red in a darkened room.
But that's only 35V across them. Many metal film resistors are a spiral
on the form, and the gaps might arc if hv beyond the rating is applied.

I'm with you all the way on their capacity to withstand overload. I used
to like the Dow FP2 and FP3 - you could run them until you couldn't see
the colour codes any more, but they would still be within a few %.

Steve