Re: [Amps] Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor

To: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:03:54 -0800

On Nov 1, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Alan Ibbetson wrote:

In message <ac2be72401684c739d03a4198d0ddd80@somis.org>, R. Measures
<r@somis.org> writes
The first things I would look at is the tubes, testing them for
filament-grid breakdown potential.

No hi-pot tester here, but seeing as the valves are somewhat low on emission I might invest in a pair of new ones on my trip to CA next week.

Next, I would measure the R of the VHF suppressor resistors.

They measure OK.

So it's unlikely that you have bent filament helices in either tube. .

This requires a larger resistor - such as a 10W surge protection type
of approximately 10 to 15 ohms.

The 10 or 14 watt ones commonly available from the big UK supply houses are wire wound vitreous enamel types, with a maximum voltage rating of only 500 or 750v.

That rating is case to chassis withstanding potential. Glitch service is a whole nuther ballgame.

I guess I'll need several of these in series, not so
much for the power rating as for a breakdown voltage safety margin.
Messy, but just doable within the rather cramped confines of the L-4B
PSU.

We buy surge-rated 120J, 15Ω resistors for our retrofit kits. The sell price is $1.77.

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies I've had, both on and off
the list, and for the several offers of components. The ham spirit ain't
dead yet!

--

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ