Re: [Amps] Meaning of "conduction cooled"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Meaning of "conduction cooled"
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:40:42 -0800
At 11:25 AM 11/3/2005, Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:

>The three classical heat transfer mechanisms are conduction, convection,
>and radiation. If you look hard at any particular amplifier, and think
>in detail about the way the heat is transferred away from the hot bits
>(anode/collector/drain) and eventually dumped out into the surrounding
>environment, you will always find that all three mechanisms are
>involved.

Thanks, Ian. I think my original question has been answered. I was
thinking of a typical heat sink as a heat transfer device rather than
a cooling device since it's ability to cool is quite limited unless
it in turn is cooled by air, liquid or radiation. A matter of
semantics to some extent, but the point is taken.

73, Bill W6WRT