Re: [Amps] Henry 2k Classic

To: 'Joe Isabella' <n3ji@yahoo.com>,Daniel Hileman <n9wx@hotmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k Classic
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:56:07 -0800
I've had a lot of Henry console amps over the past 40 years and worked with
them in the development of the 3K Classic Mk III, which became the 3K
Premier.  By "worked with them," I mean I was the one who finally talked
them into adding 160m to a standard HF amplifier, since prior to my working
with them in 1985 they had absolutely never done that before.  I ordered 12
prototype amplifiers which were originally code named the 3K-160 and used
3CX1200D7s, and they finally delivered all twelve units by the end of 1986.
It was "in development" for about five months.

One thing I can say after owning and using so many Henry amps is that it's
almost impossible to say anything for certain about any particular model,
because they made *many* design and production changes over the years and
it's common for two amps having the same model number to be quite different.
Some changes were well documented, some weren't.

Good things include they're very heavy and won't blow away in the first
strong wind, and the power supplies in most models are very substantial and
push the envelope of Ep for the tubes being used; Henry often ran >3500V on
3-500Zs, for example, when most other amp makers didn't, and thus created
amps having higher gain and more output power than competitive models using
the same tubes.  The 3K Classic Mk III (Premier) put 4400V on the 3CX1200D7
and the amps had an awful lot of gain...65W drive power would create illegal
output power levels.

The roller inductor models could be a bear to frequency change, especially
if you were going from say 10m to 160m.  Lots of cranking, there.

-WB2WIK/6