[Amps] resistor loading of cavity resonances

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] resistor loading of cavity resonances
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 13:25:13 -0700
Karl-Arne and Jim and others:

I have seen those floating end resistors in Continental FM b'dcast
rigs, and can attest to their functionality. I recall that RCA also
used some similar 'half-connected' Globar (Carborundum) resistors in
some of their old tube PAs for 100 MHz - if my memory serves me
correctly.

While visiting the French Thales company a few years ago, I was shown
a large Megawatt PA that had similar resistors in the HV compartment
before the feedthough to the anode of the tetrode. They  called them
Candlesticks (in French).

You can get similar effects with chunks of Eccosorb or other
microwave absorbing material to dampen the dimensional resonances of
a box, but its simple to use Globars, as they have standard mounting
brackets/caps and the value of 'bulk' R is given.
73
John
K5PRO