Re: [Amps] Henry 3kA Choke input Pwr Supply Overvoltage Query

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 3kA Choke input Pwr Supply Overvoltage Query
From: w2cqm@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:20:00 -0500
Thanks fellows for the on target comments  re:  the errant Henry 3KA.
Removed  the OEM  HV 10Hy choke and temporarily  installed an 8Hy
swinging choke  I had lying around. That did the trick. Voltage was back
in the safe area and all's well that ends well. Appreciate your input!
Now the dilemma! Should I attempt to locate a  difficult to replace 10Hy
choke (.8amp)   or simply replace the entire supply with a small
footprint, appropriately sized Hipersil w/capacitor input circuitry and
perhaps shed 200lbs of iron? The power supplies  I design have filter
caps, bleeders, and full wave  bridge circuitry on a 6x9" PC board and
are rated at 6KV@ 2+ amps.  The plan for this rig was to install a pair
of 8877's once I complete the 2K4/8877 currently on the bench.