Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 36, Issue 23

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 36, Issue 23
From: "Steve Gehring" <steveg@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:57:50 -0900
Hi Tom,

This is certainly an interesting post - good luck with the endeavor!  In the
early eighties, the USAF was still using the Collins 208U-3 and 208U-10
amplifiers at their Global Command and Control System sites.  I worked on
these for a living as a young ham... what a job and a privilege.

Regarding your post, the 208U-3 was an auto-tuning, 3KW, 2 - 30 MHz
amplifier driven by 1 volt RMS input (20 mW) from the transmitter box on the
other side of the transmitter room.  This was accomplished with three stages
of amplification, a 4CX350 driving another 4CX350, which in turn drove a
4CX3000.  This wonderful amp was designed by some genius at Collins, or
group of them, in the 50's.  They were robust and wonderful.

Perhaps you could pattern your amp after this wonderful design?  Yours would
have to include updated components and engineering design principles.

Good Luck and 73!

Steve, NL7W

"The real thrill in amateur work come not from talking to stations in
distant lands, not from receiving multitudes of 'QSL' cards from all the
world, although these are things to stir your imagination, but from knowing
that by careful and painstaking work and by diligent and systematic study,
you have been able to accomplish some feat or establish some fact that is a
new step toward more perfect communication."

- From Radio Age magazine, May 1926, by Arthur Collins, age 16, founder of
Collins Radio Company

Message: 2