Re: [Amps] Is solid Cu 600VAC house wire, good for tank Âtoroids?

To: KD7QAE <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is solid Cu 600VAC house wire, good for tank Âtoroids?
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:45:51 +0100 (CET)
Figure that you'll have the HV minus around 400 to 1000 volts (depending on
tube etc) across the coil. PVC is pretty lossy, and nylon isn't any better. My
feeling is that you're well on the way for some acrid smoke and a few
fireworks. I've seen the results of trying to use 600 volt rated wire for the
taps on a tank coil for a 2 MHz marine radio. That had 3 6146Bs in and was
rated at 100 PEP watts out. It was the CEO who insisted that PVC was used -
much cheaper!: engineering (me) said we needed Teflon insulated wire. we went
to Teflon......
73
Peter G3RZP