Re: [Amps] lk550 plate efficency

To: <Dxhogg@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] lk550 plate efficency
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:27:38 -0600
> I have a lk550 that I would like to see a little more plate  efficiency on
> 160m at the bottom of the plate choke is a 1000pf bypass if I  increase
> that to
> 8000pf will I see more output on 160m without drastically  affecting the
> higher bands    thanks  ray  nr1r

The bypass capacitor at the base of the plate choke is to keep RF out of the
power supply and your house wiring. RF is very detrimental to electrolytic
filter capacitors. 1000 pf is not enough to do the job on 160 meters;
8000-10,000 pf will do the job nicely. You will not see any noticeable
change in efficiency. What is the efficiency now?

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC