Re: [Amps] Westinghouse BC Ammeter QX-37

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Westinghouse BC Ammeter QX-37
From: John <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 10:55:58 -0800 (PST)
Is this a quiz?
  john kb9tc

HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com> wrote:
  Gents,

Phil at Fair Radio just sent up a couple of 4"
square matching meters for my latest project.

They are Westinghouse Type QX-37's, one being
the 0 - 5KV voltmeter and the other being the
0 - 2 amp D.C. ammeter.

The voltmeter says it needs a 5Meg multiplier
right on the face, but the ammeter just says
"Style 1546677." (& Type QX-37)

Opening the case of the ammeter I see a metal
zig-zag resistor between the poles with flexible
wires going from each end of this resistor to the meter
movement. I perceive this as an internal shunt.

The meter's cold resistance is 0.33 ohms.

The power supply is rated at 2545 VDC at 1.5 amperes.

Hence, the power supply runs 3817.5 Watts through
the amplifier.

My question is twofold:

1. Will this ammeter be able to handle 2545 volts?
2. Does this ammeter need another external shunt?

Thanks!

Harold Mandel
W4HBM