Re: [Amps] choke ferrite rod

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] choke ferrite rod
From: John Popelish <jpopelish@rica.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:02:10 -0500
john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com wrote:
> I am looking for a ferrite rod to wind a filament choke on. Does anyone know
> a source for small
> qty? Needs to be about4 1/2 to 5" long.

I guy in Lithuania is selling .5 by 7.5 inch rods of unknown Russian
ferrite on eBay (and also some smaller ones).  I have some coming.

Surplus Sales of Nebraska has a few:
http://www.surplussales.com/FerRods/FerRods.html

Amidon may still sell some.  Here is an information page on their
stock and rods, in general:
http://www.amidoncorp.com/aai_ferriterods.htm

But the lowest cost source, by far is assembled rods made from large
ferrite beads made for EMI suppression.  There is also a wider range
of materials from low frequency, high permeability (good to about 1
MHz, the most common that works well to about 10 MHz and high
frequency material that works well to above 30 MHz.  Digikey sells
these from 3 or more companies, with the largest stock from Steward.
http://www.steward.com/

Lapping the ends of the beads flat improves the approximation of a
solid rod.