[Amps] Thanks for helping with wayward Henry amp Problem

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Thanks for helping with wayward Henry amp Problem
From: w2cqm@juno.com
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:56:56 -0500
I wanted to thank the many individuals who  took  the time to offer
insightful suggestions about the problem I was experiencing when I turned
on the Henry Amp and it  without excitation  was drawing current.  I made
all the tests suggested and still the solution eluded me.  At that point
in time, on the high end of the exasperation scale, I realized that I was
probably looking in the wrong places.  Although I'm embarrassed to admit
it, I prove unquestionably  the age old adage is absolutely true  that
none is so blind that has eyes and see not!  Buried under one lead of a
filament voltage  thru chassis fitting,  I noticed  a .01 mfd  bypass
capacitor that I didn't even  know existed. Obviously,  I  also came to
an immediate realization  that this almost inconsequential  charred
component (that had apparently exploded) was in need of replacement. Sure
enough, it was welded closed and it exhibited a dead short to ground.
In any event, all's well that ends well when it was replaced. The Henry
is up and running and as happy as any inanimate object could be. Thanks
again for all your thoughts. It's greatly appreciated.  Keep in mind that
the one filament leg, although grounded and  without HV, apparently was
still able to light the filaments without even a hint of a problem. Best
regards, Ron W2CQM/3

Epilogue: visit  www.QRZ.COM/W2CQM for a listing of the  most recent
articles authored by  W2CQM.
For an update on the most recent Heath 6m dedicated retrofits,  Drake
L4B/8877  project(s) ,and other amplifier related articles see
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/W2CQMron