[Amps] More On: LK-2000HD photos

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] More On: LK-2000HD photos
From: Scott Townley <nx7u@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:15:52 -0700
More info:
1. By "tampered with" it looks like someone rewound the choke to skip a
couple of turns right in the middle.  There is some silk thread holding the
choke together at top and bottom--never seen that on a commercially-made choke.
2. The 15m switch contacts *appear* OK.  They may have been replaced, but
there's no charring or other evidence of nasties on the wafer itself.  You
can see where the tap used to be soldered to the coil.
3. Not related, but as an aside...I did (gently) try and run the amp up on
17m using the 20m position, but no workee.  The input circuit doesn't tune
anywhere near to 17m, which surprised me.  I haven't opened it back up
again to see if maybe someone else changed the L-C ratio in the input
circuit or what.

I'm tempted to just replace the 15m tap and go for it, I just didn't know
if there was some known issue with the nominal choke on 15m.  Or maybe I
should just replace it with a B&W 802 or a National R-175A.